Saturday, February 19, 2005

Global Citizen...

Recently, I was asked to consider by two different friends - the possibility of working in some remote place in Africa or in an another third world country (other than India) or working in the US itself for the betterment of humanity. One was of the opinion that more work gets done here than anywhere else. The other felt that my ardent love for my roots - India was kind of narrow-minded. One felt that I was running away from materialism, and the other felt that if indeed I were to work to make a difference in the lives of many, then why not a place compared to which India could be called "developed".

To say the least, both views stumped me. Am I running away from materialism? Is the concept of a global citizen a fallacy? Or is it that the view that more work gets done here an excuse for materialism?

Would this ever be a possbility? The whole world seen as one huge country with different states, people free to move around wherever they want to (without the problems of visa's and without being termed aliens), a unified currency (extension of Euro), and respect for work (each gets paid in the same currency for his productivity), and importantly respect for the individual (despite his race, creed, caste, sex, etc.). I personally feel that global citizenship would be a possibility only when the world is seen as one. Wishful thinking, right?

No comments: