Monday, March 28, 2005

Religions...

Religion is a controversial topic to address. I have met people of all kinds. Those who are die-hard followers of a particular religion, to people who are religious humanists, to people who are spiritual but not religious, to people who are agnostics, atheists, etc. Though there might be an obvious conflict of views, I believe in tolerance. It is however interesting to ponder on the reasons behind such differing opinions on religions. What could have happened?

I guess the family circumstances, upbringing, friends' circle, influence of books at impressionable ages, and their personal journey in Life would have resulted in their religious preference. Approaching this topic with people is a sensitive issue. I do not discuss this with my good friends at all, whatsoever. Each person is entitled to his/her own opinion. As long as that person is able to justify his/her opinion, any opinion for that matter is acceptable.

Yet, despite this, I do keep coming across people - who are die-hard missionaries with their (most times, irritating) zeal of enlightening people on the only path to salvation or the only true God or whatever. And they are often shameless in their approach. This cynical mind is wary of a friendly stranger. Most times, it has so happened, that the friendliness is with an ulterior motive of something on these lines or business networking for some products.

Some people believe that there exists one and only one true religion and God/Prophet/Messiah. What do such people gain by making such declarations? Is it that their faith forces them to be so narrow-minded. Why cannot it be the presence of a unifying powerful omnipotent force with different manifestations? I am sure I am taking cudgels out here, some persons might take it to be blasphemous, but don't such declarations only increase the divide among all of us? From what I have inferred from most religions, the essential philosophy remains the same, The triumph of the good over the evil.

These are my personal views. It would be really interesting to make a comparative study on the various religions of the world. For that, I need to know properly about my religion first.

1 comment:

abhilash warrier said...

Where are you my friend? Long time no see?

love,
abhi