Thursday, November 17, 2005

A few drops of water....

The author was a witness to this amazingly funny event. Let me give a gist of the incident.

People were running here and there.
Some people were angry with themselves
Cos' they had forgotten one of their possessions
Seemingly prized and invaluable.

People who had that same accessory
Were proud of their own selves.
They had done something spectacular that day
And vanity was their virtue and sin.
How they looked down upon the first set of people?

Btw, what was the author doing out there?
He had lost that same "valuable" possession recently.
Yet, he was happy watching them and ...
Or so he thinks;
Or is it a case of sour grapes?

Now, let me not hold the suspense further. It was a slight drizzle on a hazy winter morning that lead to this chaos. Would a child have behaved in such a fashion as the adults in question. Believe me, this was of a truly universal nature and almost everyone out there, irrespective of caste, creed, sex, nationality, etc. were the "extras" in the comedy/tragedy. That "valuable" possession happened to be an umbrella and the "hero" in the comedy/tragedy. Most of them were in such a hurry that the author was wondering as to what they would be doing once they reached their final destination. How would the act of simply doing nothing and allowing the few drops of water caress their entire physical being seem to them?

2 comments:

Akruti said...

Hmmm,i donno if only kids do it,But then let me say how it feels "The first drop falls on your cheek,making you shiver,look up and more follows,the slow smile clouds your face,and you try to taste that first drop of rain,the legs wont move any faster,how could they,It makes me feel a part of the beauty of nature,i welcome the drops with a smile and walk at the same pace,sure i will be wet,but i know it cleanses me of all the stress and makes me fly and makes me laugh,Thankgod for if not for rains i know i would have one less reaso nto be happy and smiling"

Sorry,i wanted to put it up in one 4 lines but couldn stop myself:(

Rangakrishnan Srinivasan said...

akruti: I had never intended that adults do not enjoy getting soaked in the rain. I thought it was all right to make this generalization about ALL kids enjoying the same.

I do accept that there are adults (rel. a fewer no.) who love anything and everything associated with rains.