Monday, November 20, 2006

The rich and the poor....

This Saturday saw me witness to the inauguration of the festival shopping season at Rodeo Drive, LA, whose claim to fame is the place where actors/actresses shop. With hope in making a difference to the many lives as the main theme, this place was studded with the rich, who were also well-dressed; men in tuxedo's and women in glittering gowns.

But then, I have also seen the homeless, truly homeless, both men and women. They sleep on the pavements, under the stars, with all Mercedes Benz's racing past them. They haven't had baths for ages. All that they have are two dirty torn bags ready to burst open.

Are the rich happy? Are the poor happy? Are you happy? Am I happy? What is happiness?

6 comments:

abhilash warrier said...

ranga,

how are you? happy? flight from zurich to atlanta? you really are jet-setting nowadays, eh?

are you working now? are you done with your studies?

check my latest post; it has something for you! :-)

PaintItRed said...

Hmmm... to me, these are 2 independent variables. Correlation of (money, happiness) = 0. Over the years, we all have read "Money can't buy happiness"... true, but was money supposed to buy happiness in the first place? Is the opposite true? - "Zuk money implies happy life?". Probably not, and that's what I mean when I say these are independent variables. I know, I haven't answered your question here.

Anonymous said...

happiness is a quest...to me being happy is when you do things your way...however odd or unsuccessful you might be..you are being true to yourself which will translate to inner joy at some point in your life.

Rangakrishnan Srinivasan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rangakrishnan Srinivasan said...

Abhi: thanks for your comments. I did check out your post.

Pammie: I suppose managers are made to think like this. Ghotuness everywhere. :) Jokes apart, an interesting comment.

Lakshmi N: true, very true. well said! I personally think of it as something of a highly temporal nature, can be savored only for a moment or so. the reasons for happiness change with everyday, and at times, things that we think might make us happy don't really end up doing so. like they say, "carpe diem"!

Musings.. said...

Something I wrote recently..about happiness.

Happiness is
Being here in this very moment
In the whiff of fresh air
In the smell of the flowers
In the rustle of the wind
In the thought of your smile
In the new green leaves of my bedside plant..
In that merry mail
In that twirling snowflake
In the sound of my mothers voice
In the children’s chatter
In the bittersweet longing for that something…
And
In the dreams for tomorrow