Monday, May 23, 2005

Vegetarianism....

Disclaimer: One of my very good friends felt that this article was more on the aggressive side. Initially meant to be a humorous anecdote of my amusing experiences in the US, it has knowingly/unknowingly taken the shape of heavy sarcasm or satire in parts. I repeat, this article is not meant to offend anyone. I do apologise if some people did get offended. I respect a person's preferences and expect the same from him/her. Period.

Acknowledgement:
Thanks to Eroteme for the clarification on kosher.

Does any religion truly forbid eating meat. Does any religion profess vegetarianism. I truly do not know. Pork is forbidden for Muslims and Beef for the Hindus. The entire world seems to be feeding on these two animal meats in the form of bacon, sausage, ham, steak, or whatever. Pigs live in unhealthy environments and even if they are bred with care, I simply do not see the point in consuming them. Does that mean I am pro-Muslim. Hindus treat or rather worship the cow - Kamadhenu. Hence, beef is naturally forbidden for them. Does the reason sound hackneyed. Does that mean I am pro-Hindu. It merits mention that certain religions like Buddhism, Jainism, Judaism (Kosher), etc. have stricter restrictions on diet.

It so happens that my ways of eating is often a point of amusement and bewilderment to one and all; especially more so after surviving in the US of A on vegetarian food (where eggs too are forbidden) for nearly two years. Some of my closest Indian friends too find it surprising to the point of absurdity my dietary preferences. People, naturally, have cajoled and some times, threatened me to have meat. They find it shocking when I go about asking waitresses if they use chicken broth to make the rice (very common in Mexican restaurants) or if they use lard or beef extracts in the beans that usually supplements the quesadilla or enchilada. The cheese-burger available in MacD's has beef/ham (I am not sure; not that it matters to me). There is a joke that everything out here is "vegetarian". I religiously go through the contents when purchasing groceries.

So, naturally, people think that I am paranoid about not having meat. They naturally ask - Does Hinduism forbid having meat. Little do they know of India. In a land with a myriad of different cultures and religions, with almost 50-50 veggies and non-veggies; where some Hindu's have beef too to show their modernness and broad outlook(!); where the ancient people (including the rishis) consumed meat, most people find it difficult to accept that meat-eating in India is common too. Most of these incidents involving my paranoia are indeed amusing to me. My answer is often this. Well, I have survived this far on grass and the likes. I don't see the point of turning over to the other side, and if I may dare, the dark side.

Preferences apart (be it personal, religious, spiritual or whatever), scientific studies have proven that red meats are unhealthy. Chicken and Fish are supposed to be good for health. I suppose too much of anything is bad. This principle applies to potatoes too. I do not want to convert people of either faiths. Each person is entitled to his/her preference. I would respect that. I just hope I am not wrong in execting the same from them. I do not want to get into arguments over the Saathvik/Taamsik nature of the foods. People have these wise questions (esp. from the other side) - Isn't milk non-vegetarian. Doesn't the milk come from the blood of the cow. Don't plants have life. Well, I simply have no answers. But, I take it that these questions still do not justify having meat. Arguments sound phony. Most people who have meat love it; and if they say that they love it without any iota of guilt, I suppose it is okie. What I hate is double standards.

3 comments:

SB said...

Dietary habits are a personal thing
and as long as it keeps u healthy
and doesnot upset the food chain,i feel u can have whatever u wish.

Eroteme said...

I suppose tolerance is what is most essential! People who are non-veg love to ridicule those who are veg. They love to make you sound like some ancient specie. There are some who must have meat in every meal (I hence have the classification of veg, non-veg and meat lovers). I totally get annoyed when those who are non-veg would use their spoon at a table to pick some common side-dish. I would not be able to eat it thereafter. But its difficult to find pure veg cafes... and they usually don't serve the best food or different food...

BTW, Kosher doesn't forbid meat. Kosher only specifies the treatment to be given to meat before consumption (things with scales are exempted)

Rangakrishnan Srinivasan said...

Saurav: Thanks for your comments. It always pays to listen to the views of everyone. I never meant to offend anyone, maxu.

Eroteme: Well said. Tolerance is the key. I can clearly associate with your views. Interesting third classification, though. :) Thanks for the clarification on kosher.